WriteGirl’s 21st Annual Songwriting Workshop on Saturday, March 19, 2022, will offer teen girls and nonbinary youth the opportunity to learn from award-winning singer/songwriters, including GRAMMY-nominated songwriters and former American Idol judge Kara DioGuardi, GRAMMY-nominated songwriter Shelly Peiken and more than a dozen others. The acclaimed songwriters will be joined by WriteGirl writing mentors who will help girls transform their ideas into lyrics in a fun and energizing setting.
This online event will conclude with live, virtual performances by a few of the special guest songwriters. They’ll bring their expertise and high energy to the event, turning the teens’ lyrics into songs right before their eyes.
Guest singer/songwriters include GRAMMY-nominated writers and lyricists who have written for, or collaborated with, artists such as Natasha Bedingfield, Jojo, Kelly Rowland, Nick Jonas, One Direction, Diana Ross, Little Mix, Dua Lipa and Ashley Tisdale.
WriteGirl has received national attention in the past year as the nonprofit that helped the Inaugural Poet Amanda Gorman get her start.
Saturday, March 19, 2022
Songwriting Workshop: 11:00 AM – 1:15 PM (PST)
Showcase of Songs: 3:00 PM – 4:00 PM (PST)
The event will be held via Zoom.
The WriteGirl Songwriting Workshop provides an opportunity for teen girls and nonbinary youth to see how their words can become songs. With guidance from acclaimed songwriters and other professional women writers, workshop attendees can learn more about the craft of songwriting, and see how lyrics become catchy tunes — all in real time. This workshop is one of 50 events in the WriteGirl season designed to prepare girls for college and beyond.
Guest singer/songwriters include:
- KARA DIOGUARDI, a GRAMMY-nominated songwriter, CEO, and co-founder of Arthouse Publishing/Records and the music platform Briidge, with appearances on American Idol and Platinum Hit.
- SHELLY PEIKEN, is a GRAMMY-nominated songwriter known for classic hits like Christina Aguilera’s “What a Girl Wants” as well as prominent work in TV and films.
- MICHELLE LEWIS is a solo artist and songwriter with decades of experience writing for top artists like Cher, Little Mix, and Katharine McPhee.
- JANICE ROBINSON is a singer/songwriter who has opened for Tina Turner and written songs for artists like Ashley Tisdale and Taylor Dayne.
- CYNTHIA CATANIA is a singer, songwriter, and producer whose songwriting credits include work for Nickelodeon and CBS.
- AUTUMN ROWE, a songwriter, vocal coach, and DJ with an impressive roster of accomplishments, writing for artists like Kylie Minogue, Fifth Harmony, and Ava Max.