HOLLYWOOD, CALIF. (May 3, 2018) — Fender Musical Instruments Corporation (FMIC) and Fender Digital today announced the expansion of Fender Play to include ukulele lessons – helping brand-new players and beginners master chords and riffs in minutes. On the heels of the Fender Play app’s successful release for guitar in 2017, this lesson content is designed specifically for uke and makes learning to play an instrument even easier than before. Combine Fender’s California Coast Series Ukuleles with Fender Play and there are no excuses for new players who want to learn fast while keeping cool this summer.
Just like guitar, ukulele lessons are bite-sized and delivered in high-quality video by experienced instructors. The fun selection of feel-good ukulele songs are familiar and easy to learn. New players will be encouraged to pick up and play as they progress quickly through lessons that are guided, active, integrated and song-driven.
“Ukulele is a very inviting instrument to play – and a great stepping stone to guitar – so we wanted to create a learning platform that’s just as welcoming, inspiring and portable as the instrument itself,” said Ethan Kaplan, General Manager of Fender Digital. “This comes at a time when universal appeal, affinity for the ukulele continues to grow. From the songs and artists to the sound and feel of the ukulele itself, no instrument captures summer better – whether you’re on a road trip, at music festivals, backyard BBQs or beach jam sessions with friends.”
The ukulele path follows the same structure as the guitar with an even more simplified approach, new skills to master and new faces, including:
- NEW UKULELE INSTRUCTORS: Acclaimed uke experts: Berklee College of Music alum Abe Lagrimas Jr., Cal Arts alum Abby Lyons and indie-folk musician Katie Norregaard
- SONGS: Learn songs, including:
- I Don’t Know My Name – Grace VanderWaal
- Riptide – Vance Joy
- Hey There Delilah – Plain White T’s
- Cups – Anna Kendrick
- Pumped Up Kicks – Foster The People
- Let It Go – Demi Lovato
- CAMERA ANGLES: An easy-to-see vertical “close up” finger placement camera angle
- VARIETY: A blend of musical styles that appeal to all players
- PLAY & SING: Courses teach players how to “play and sing” and understand the difference between the melody (what you sing) and rhythm (what you strum)
- SKILLS: 82 skills, including fingerstyle, and “world rhythms” including reggae and calypso strumming as well as montuno rhythm
To kick-start the learning process – or new players can sign up for a free 30-day trial at Play.Fender.com and continue their journey for $9.99 (USD) a month – with access to guitar lessons and bass soon. Additionally, new players have access to a year of unlimited lessons for $89.99, empowering them to learn ukulele, electric or acoustic guitar at their convenience. Later, Fender Play will add bass lessons, as well as new R&B and metal genre paths for acoustic/electric guitar.
Fender Play for ukulele is available now on iPhone, iPad, Android devices, and desktop. The app is available in the United States, United Kingdom, and Canada, and can be accessed globally in 36 countries in English. Watch a preview of a sample ukulele lesson here. Program and lifestyle images can be found here.
To learn more about Fender Play, visit: play.fender.com. For additional information on new Fender products, such as the California Coast Series Ukuleles, and to find a retail partner near you, visit www.fender.com. Join the conversation on social media by following @Fender.